82 grams

Bowl Height:
5cm

Chamber Depth:
3.8 cm

Length:
13 cm

Zitat:
"Almost a conventional pipe, this one, except for its "fins". I used to do fins as a motif fairly often, so this fits into the house "look" quite well. They're practical, also, as they let what would otherwise be a round bowl sit upright, no pipe rest required. This is a big pipe, thick and chunky and rugged, with a stem handcut from horn by French craftsmen in the Jura. The body of the pipe is a two-toned contrast stain - the grain of the wood has been colored a deep black so it can be seen even through the even top stain of green, allowing one to see the orignal grain of the wood through the sandblasted texture. It looks particularly interesting on the top, where the black/green variations of color occur in what would be the bird's-eye section on a smooth. Note that this pipe had not been stamped yet when the photos were taken. The smooth stamping area on the bottom was purposefully left ragged - We started to cut one of those precise little masks and then thought, "This is a Goblin, let it look torn and natural". "

Gruss Arno

www.verbilligen.de

Angefügte Bilder:
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Arno

zuletzt bearbeitet 22.06.2010 | Top

RE: Talbert - Goblins

#2 von Arno , 22.06.2010 19:11

Von der HP.

Nergal

Bowl Type:
2 cm conical

Airhole Size:
5/32"

Weight:
61.1 grams

Bowl Height:
5.5 cm

Chamber Depth:
5 cm

Length:
18 cm

Zitat:
"Nergal may be my favorite of the bunch, in this first Goblin set. I like horns. More specifically, I like horns that you can actually see the rims of while lighting, which is sometimes not the case, annoyingly, but this one has good visibility. I love the shape! I was looking for something simple yet evocative - something a bit "Brian Froud" while otherwise being a conventional pipe shape. The natural plateau front on this provided the touch of wild forest I was after, and the sandblasting did the rest. Like some of the others, it was contrast-stained with a strong black first, before the green, and this allows the grain of the wood to show through the blasted texture - especially evident in the close-ups of the shank and bowl back."

Gruss Arno

www.verbilligen.de

Angefügte Bilder:
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg  

Arno

#3 von Arno , 22.06.2010 19:17

Von der HP

Hargle

Bowl Type:
2.2 cm conical

Airhole Size:
5/32"

Weight:
66.8 grams

Bowl Height:
5.5 cm

Chamber Depth:
4.6 cm

Length:
14 cm

Zitat:
"It scampers! Haven't made one with actual legs in a while. It may be difficult to tell from some of the photos, but the two back "legs" join together in a single point under the shank (see the underside photo) and it sits upright very handily. No pipe rest needed here! This is probably the best sandblast of the bunch - We can't get pressue out of our current compressor to match our old one, so more of our blasts are going to be of the shalllower, more intricate style, but this block cooperated nicely and rendered a deep ring grain, stacked perfectly from bottom to top. "

Gruss Arno

www.verbilligen.de

Angefügte Bilder:
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg  

Arno

#4 von Arno , 22.06.2010 19:23

Von der HP.

Kelpie

Bowl Type:
2 cm conical

Airhole Size:
5/32"

Weight:
64.6 grams

Bowl Height:
12 cm

Chamber Depth:
4.6 cm

Length:
14 cm

Zitat:
"This one shaped itself. I wanted something extremely naturalistic, and evocative of deep woods, marshes, and gnarled undergrowth. It does have a good bit of Pitcher Plant in it, and might be carnivorous - I'll leave that for the owner to discover. The color is another application of contrast-stained deep green. Oddly, despite the listed weight, it actually feels quite light for its size. I should add that it is also easy to fill and light from the front, considering the strange bowl "flaps", but I don't think I would recommend this pipe to anyone who lights via a conventional (non-pipe-specialized) lighter - It's easy to handle with something like an Old Boy, but I think a Bic would be a pain."

Gruss Arno

www.verbilligen.de

Angefügte Bilder:
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg  

Arno

#5 von Arno , 22.06.2010 19:30

Von der HP.

Warf

Bowl Type:
2 cm straight-walled

Airhole Size:
5/32"

Weight:
70.1 grams

Bowl Height:
4 cm

Chamber Depth:
3.3 cm

Length:
15 cm

Zitat:
"Simple, powerful, and direct - I conceived of this pipe as a ferocious, take no prisoners sort of design. It has massively thick walls and sturdy construction all around, with natural plateau in front and a nicely open draw. The briar block is really the standout here, though, and it has an unusual history. This was a piece of plateau from Vermont pipemaker Al Baier. Back in the 90's when I won the P&T pipe carving contest, part of the prize was a huge rummage through Al's briar stock, and I was able to handpick a large number of fantastic stummels that he'd bought back in the early 80's. So, it's safe to assume it's had long enough to dry! Best estimate is that this has likely been drying for at least 30 years before becoming a pipe. I don't have a lot of these blocks left, but I make a pipe out of them every once in a while. This pipe has another special treat, too - It balances perfectly on the bottom point of its plateau and stands upright. No pipe rest needed! I should have taken a pic of it free-standing, but didn't think of it while I was shooting the photos."

Gruss Arno

www.verbilligen.de

Angefügte Bilder:
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg  

Arno

#6 von toby ( gelöscht ) , 22.06.2010 20:27

poh.... so Pfeifen habe ich noch nie gesehen,die Flipper genial und grün.

toby
zuletzt bearbeitet 22.06.2010 20:28 | Top

Talbert - Ligne Bretagne Grade 4
Talbert - Ligne Bretagne Grade 3

PipeSmoke Ring
Provided by: Spiderlinks.Org
Ringmaster:  Jack Tompkins
Site Owner:  Arno Vogt
Ring Home:  http://www.jack-tompkins.com/Pipes
Join:  PipeSmoke Ring
PREVIOUS : NEXT : RANDOM : SITE-LIST

Pipe Lover's Ring